Friday, October 26, 2007

Schaeffer on the Trinity

“Every once in a while in my discussions [about Christianity] someone asks how I can believe in the Trinity. My answer is always the same. I would still be an agnostic if there was no Trinity, because there would be no answers. Without the high order of personal unity and diversity as given in the Trinity, there are no answers.

Let us notice again that this is not the best answer; it is the only answer. Nobody else, no philosophy, has ever given us an answer for unity and diversity. So when people ask whether [Christians] are embarrassed intellectually by the Trinity, I always switch it over into their own terminology – unity and diversity. Every philosophy has this problem, and no philosophy has the answer. Christianity does have an answer in the existence of the Trinity. The only answer to what exists is that...the triune God is there.”

- Francis Schaeffer