Monday, August 27, 2007

Calvin's Prayer on Going to School

O Lord, you are the fountain of all wisdom and learning. Out of Your special goodness to me, You have granted that the years of my youth should be instructed in an education that can assist me to be honest and to live a life dedicated to You. I pray that You would also grant that my mind might be enlightened and energized, which sometimes is slow and lazy, so that I might be able to acquire more knowledge. Also, strengthen my memory so that I can remember what I have learned. And move my heart so that I may be willing and even eager to profit from what I have studied, or else the opportunity that You have given me to educate my mind will be lost through my sluggishness. I pray that You will be pleased to have Your Spirit work within me, the Spirit of understanding, so that my studies will be successful and that my teacher will not have wasted his or her time in teaching me.

In whatever I study, help me to keep this in mind: that I am to know You in Christ Jesus Your Son. May everything that I learn assist me to live a life that is pleasing to You. I pray that you will teach me to be humble, so that I will prove myself to be teachable and obedient to you first, and then to others that You may place in authority over me. Finally, in all that I do in school, let my goal be this: that I may be glorify You in all that I do, and in doing so, qualify myself to be a servant that You can use in whatever You will have me do when I grow up.

Amen.